Petal School Board
The venue for the August 11, 2020, School Board Meeting has been moved.
This meeting will be held at the Petal Middle School Auditorium, 203 East Central Avenue, at 7:00 pm.
- Bruce Magee was elected to the Petal School District Board of Trustees in 2002 and was re-elected to a new term in 2007. He has occupied the position of Chairman since 2004. He holds a B.S. from the University of Southern Mississippi and is employed by Richton Tie and Timber, LLC where he has served as Chief Financial Office since 1992. Bruce and his wife, Robin have two children. They are members of Carterville Baptist Church where Bruce has served as Deacon and is past Chairman of the Deacon body. Bruce is a past member of WL Smith and Petal School District Shared Decision Making Councils and has served on Strategic Planning Committees for the City of Petal.
- Dr. Chuck Harrell was appointed to the Petal School District Board of Trustees in February, 2017, by the Mayor and Board of Alderman of the City of Petal. He previously served two five-year terms from 1998 to 2009, as an elected member then an appointed member. He is a 1981 graduate of Moss Point High School. He received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology from the University of Southern Mississippi in 1986 and went on to receive his Doctorate of Dental Medicine from the University of Mississippi in 1990. He served 6 years in the United States Air Force as a Dental Officer and was stationed at: Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lakeland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas; Anderson Air Force Base, Guam; and Tyndall Air Force Base, Panama City, Florida. He moved to Petal in July, 1996. Chuck and his wife, Ramona, have twin sons that are Petal High School graduates. Chuck is the owner of Petal Family Dentistry. They are members of Asbury United Methodist Church where he is a Congregational Elder and Worship Team Sound Engineer. He has served on the PSD Shared Decision Making Council, Petal School District Strategic Planning Committee, and Petal YMCA Board. He currently serves on the Petal Education Foundation Board, Petal Children’s Task Force, Petal Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, and Baptist Medical Dental Missions International Short Term Missions.
- Greg Bullock grew up on a cattle farm in rural Jefferson Davis County, Mississippi, where he attended and graduated from the Bassfield school system. Since graduating from college, he has served as an educator for 38 years, 28 of which were in the public school system of Mississippi where he coached men’s basketball and taught history, English, and physical education. Greg joined the faculty of William Carey in 2007 and serves as the chair of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation in 2012. A member of the school board of Petal Schools, Greg resides in Petal Mississippi. Though he has a wide variety of interests, his most enjoyable hobby is breeding and exhibiting boxers in AKC sanctioned conformation shows. He is married to the former Suzanne Freeman, also an educator. They have three children: Brett, Brittany, and Brooke.
- Jerry DeFatta was elected to the Petal School District Board of Trustees in 2015 and took office on January 12, 2016. A 1996 graduate of Petal High School, Jerry earned a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Southern Mississippi in 2000, and a master’s degree in public relations at the university in 2010. He currently serves as the Executive Director of the Southern Miss Alumni Association, a position he has held since 2010. Jerry and his wife, Bethanie, have three children, twin daughters Eva Marie and Ella Katherine who attend Petal Primary School and one son, Trey. He is also a member of the Petal School District Shared Decision Making Council, the Petal Excel by 5 Coalition and the United Way of Southeast Mississippi’s Board of Directors.
- Troy Wicktom was inducted onto the Petal School Board at the regular meeting of the board held on Tuesday, March 12, 2013. He was appointed by the Petal Board of Aldermen to replace Andy Estess. Troy is a native of Kiln, Mississippi and received his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of South Alabama and a Master of Arts in Computer Resource and Information Management from Webster University, London, UK. He retired from the United States Air Force after 20 years as a Cyberspace Officer. Troy and his wife, Holly Wicktom, have three children who attend Petal schools. They are members of Asbury Methodist Church.
- Dr. Greg Bullock
- Jerry Defatta
- Dr. Chuck Harrell
- Bruce Magee
- Troy Wicktom