The Petal School District (PSD) officially began in 1976 after community members decided they wanted to create a school district separate from the county school system. The City of Petal was incorporated specifically to form the new school district – a step signifying how important excellent educational opportunities were to the citizens of this community.
Since that time, school employees have worked hand in hand with the community to ensure the schools reflect the local values and quality of life inherent in the citizens of the PSD. While retaining its positive small-town atmosphere, Petal has become state and nationally known for its quality schools and award-winning athletic and performing arts programs.
The mission of the Petal School District is to empower all students with the attitude, knowledge, and life-long learning skills essential to thrive as responsible citizens in an ever-changing global society.
We believe that:
- A person's potential to learn is limitless.
- All people have intrinsic worth.
- Strength comes from engaging the full diversity of the community.
- Teamwork is essential to the continuous success of an organization.
- Family is the most important influence on the development of the individual.
- People can direct their own future.
- People are influenced more by what others do than by what they say.
We believe that student achievement grows through:
- Professional Learning Communities
- Data Driven Decision Making
- Ongoing Formative Assessment
- Strong Instructional Leadership