Established in 1976, the Petal School District (PSD) is known throughout the state of Mississippi and nationally for its high-quality schools and award-winning athletics and fine arts programs. The district’s continuous top ranking by the Mississippi Department of Education is a result of teamwork among students, teachers, staff, parents and the community. The district emphasizes teamwork through one of its seven core beliefs that form the basis for its mission: to empower all students with the attitude, knowledge and lifelong learning skills essential to thrive as responsible citizens in an ever-changing global society.
PSD consists of five schools, serving approximately 4,400 students: Petal Primary School (PreK-2); Petal Elementary (3-4); Petal Upper Elementary (5-6); Petal Middle School (7-8); and Petal High School (9-12). Each school offers superior academic instruction as well as enrichment classes and extracurriculars. In addition to its five schools, PSD also operates the Petal Education Center (alternative school) and The Coleman Center for Families and Children, which offers educational resources and support services in coordination with area agencies for families in the Petal community.
We believe that:
- A person's potential to learn is limitless.
- All people have intrinsic worth.
- Strength comes from engaging the full diversity of the community.
- Teamwork is essential to the continuous success of an organization.
- Family is the most important influence on the development of the individual.
- People can direct their own future.
- People are influenced more by what others do than by what they say.
We believe that student achievement grows through:
- Professional Learning Communities
- Data Driven Decision Making
- Ongoing Formative Assessment
- Strong Instructional Leadership