The Coleman Center for Families and Children
The Coleman Center for Families and Children is a family support center, offering free community resources and services to families in the Petal School District.
Parents as Teachers (PAT) is an evidence-based parent education and family engagement model serving families throughout pregnancy until their child enters kindergarten. Below is a summary of services that are provided in Petal, MS through the Coleman Center for Families and Children.
- Personal visits- during which your parent educator will share age-appropriate child development and parenting information, help you learn to observe your child and address your parenting concerns.
- Parent group meetings- which are opportunities to share information about parenting issues and child development. Parents learn and support each other, observe their children with other children and practice parenting skills.
- Screenings- to assess your child's language development, intellectual growth, social development and motor skills. Milestones are monitored to identify any potential concern before it becomes an obstacle to your child's development.
- Resource network- that links your family to other community services.
- Family Resource Center- to provide classes, group meetings, help with needed resources, help you make connections to other organizations, check out educational materials, such as toys, books and manipulatives to use at home and so much more!
- Please don’t feel like you are parenting alone, we want to partner with you! Call us at 601.584.4704 to inquire about how you can get a PAT Educator working with your family!
Petal Parents as Teachers is an early childhood parent education and support program. This program is a voluntary program offered through the Petal School District for families residing in Petal with children aged birth to three. In the first few years, children learn more and at a faster pace than at any other time in life. You as a parent or guardian help shape your child's growth through the experiences you provide for them. Your baby was born to learn, and as a parent, you are your child's first and most important teacher.
The Parents as Teachers program is here to help you! Parents are assigned the same Certified Parent Educator for each visit. This consistency with your PAT helps you understand what to expect during each stage of your child's development, which helps you respond in those teachable moments in everyday life to enhance your child's language development, intellectual growth, social development and motor skills.
- Asbury Playschool
- C.H. Johnson Head Start
- Carterville Christian School
- First Bridge
- Freedom Ranch
- Life Construction Learning Academy
- Life Construction Learning Academy II
- Mimi’s Playhouse
- Oasis Training Center
- Panther’s Den Learning Center
- Petal Branch Library
- Petal Children’s Task Force
- Petal Excel By 5
- Petal Primary School Blended Pre-K Program | only 1 class available with application approval
- Petal Primary School Pre-K Class | Only 1 class available and must apply through PRVO Head Start
- Petal YMCA
- Play-School Child Care Center/Main Street Station
- Turning Pointe Church
- Worthy Stables
- MDE Early Learning Collaborative Scope of Services
- Petal Early Learning Collaborative
- Preschool Curriculum
“The Early Learning Collaborative Act of 2013 establishes Mississippi’s first state-funded, voluntary Pre-K program. The Mississippi Department of Education is responsible for the implementation of the legislation and administration of the program. The purpose of the Early Learning Collaborative Act of 2013 is to provide funding to local communities to establish, expand, support and facilitate the successful implementation of quality early childhood education and development services.”
The Petal Early Learning Collaborative (PELC) is a partnership between the Petal School District, Pearl River Valley Opportunity, Panther's Den Learning Center, Life Construction Learning Academy and The Coleman Center for Families and Children. The classes are full-day programs that serve eligible four-year-old students at Petal Primary School, Charles H. Johnson Head Start Center, Panther's Den Learning Center and the Life Construction Learning Academy.
The Mississippi Beginnings Curriculum is currently taught in PreK. This curriculum is research-based, aligns with the Early Learning Standards of Mississippi and is developmentally appropriate. This PreK curriculum balances intentional instruction and child-centered learning. It provides comprehensive, integrated instruction in all developmental domains and it empowers children with choices in self-directed activities. It offers a daily routine that develops key social skills, emotional control and values individual differences.
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library
- Parents as Teachers
- English as a Second Language Parent Educator
- Student safety equipment for Petal Primary School
- PreK playground equipment
- Curriculum and furniture for PreK classrooms
- Seat belts on school buses (as required by law for transporting PreK children)
- Yearly cost of running The Coleman Center for Families and Children- a family support center offering free community resources and services to families in Petal School District
- Backyard Bus maintenance and upkeep
- Step 1
- Contact lead partner Jana Perry, director of The Coleman Center for Families and Children, at 601.584.4704 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Step 2
- Verify with lead partner that the cap has not been reached, and make donation (donation certificate will be provided by MSDE)
- Step 3
- Claim donation on 2023 Mississippi tax return to receive full credit (use form 80-401 on the Department of Revenue's website)
- All donations must be processed by December 31.
- Research shows that high quality PreK programs ensure kids are "kindergarten ready," meaning they will have higher math and reading scores, lower rates of grade retention, better high school graduation rates and a host of other traits that help put students on a path to college and career success.
- Petal's Excel By 5 helped start the Early Learning Collaborative in Mississippi.
- Petal is one of the first and longest running Early Learning Collaborative's in the state.