CHILD DEVELOPMENTThis course develops skills related to physical, social, intellectual, and emotional development of the child. In addition, we will cover considerations for parenthood, prenatal care, pregnancy & childbirth, behavior management, needs of exceptional children, and career opportunities.
Unit 1: Considerations for Parenthood
- Discuss considerations before parenting.
- Analyze the importance of good parenting.
Unit 2: Child Growth and Development
- Examine responsibilities of good prenatal care.
- Discuss the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual needs of the infant from birth to one year.
- Discuss meeting physical, emotional, social, and intellectual needs of children from one to three years of age.
Unit 3: Behavior Guidance for Children
- Analyze strategies for managing behavior.
- Demonstrate effective ways of dealing with misbehavior.
Unit 4: Children with Special Challenges
- Determine ways to meet the needs of an exceptional child.
- Examine types of child abuse.
- Analyze methods of dealing with crises affecting parent-child relationships such as divorce, moving, death, and family crises.
Unit 5: Career Opportunities in Child Development
- Discuss professional organization credentialing and state licensure.
- Explore career and job opportunities in the field of child development.