This course develops skills related to personal, family, and social issues. It includes instruction in dimensions of adolescent development (including male and female sex/reproductive organs), family decisions and responsibilities, social decisions and responsibilities (including abstinence), and management of family systems in today’s society.
Unit 1: Dimensions of Adolescent Development
- Understand growth and change during the teen years.
- Explain the importance of developing a positive self-esteem.
- Examine one’s own potential for career development.
Unit 2: Family Decisions and Responsibilities
- Determine choices involved in establishing a lifestyle.
- Develop an understanding of the role of dating.
- Develop an understanding of love and commitment.
- Evaluate steps to building a marriage.
- Recognize the demands of responsible parenting.
Unit 3: Management of Family Systems
- Evaluate the dynamics involved in preserving the family as a unit.
- Develop coping techniques for individuals dealing with crisis in the family.
- Explore the aspects of domestic violence.
- Utilize resources and technology in managing multiple roles of family members.
- Analyze factors of balancing work and family.
- Discuss career options working with human service occupations.